|Sloes on the tree|
|Picked ready for taking home|
|Sloe gin ingredients|
The recipe for sloe gin is quick and easy, as follows:
1 lb Sloe berries, washed and pricked all over
1 litre Gin
1. Once you have weighed, washed and pricked the fruit all over, place them in a wide-necked bottle or seal-able jar (we used a litre Kilner jar)
2. Place the sugar in with the sloes, then pour over the gin.
3. Give the jar a good shake to dissolve the sugar then place in a dark cupboard.
4. Shake every day until the sugar has all dissolved.
5. After about 3 months strain out the sloes through
muslin, bottle, store in a dark cupboard, and wait.
Sloe gin is a popular drink at Christmas, coinciding with it maturing. The colour is an amazing deep burgundy already and I can't wait to see it when it is ready to drink.
As well as sloe gin I believe you can make a jelly for eating with meat and jam with sloes and apples. I'll maybe try that next year if I can get some more sloes.
#hedgerowbounty #sloes #selfsufficiency
If you want to find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page
If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk
Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener
You can now sign up for our monthly newsletter on the facebook page or by emailing us to be added to our mailing list
All contents and photographs © Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you