By the time this blog is published we will have just under two weeks until we close for winter, crazy I know. We are getting through the autumn jobs and some much needed thinning and tidying in some of the garden areas. We've also been working on getting more of the plants we sell planted so you can see how they grow once in the ground. This has been very useful learning for Isabel, building her knowledge in all things horticulture and we've had a laugh about how some planting ideas just don't work and we learn as much from mistakes as we do from the successes.
![]() |
| Dawn on the marshes |
![]() |
| Crazy Maisie and her rat |
![]() |
| Autumn in the garden at home |
Last week it was all about the autumn jobs and finishing off tasks before we close for winter. The weather has been unseasonably warm and not too much rain, the seasons of old are definitely changing. We are well ahead with the strimming of the wildflower areas with the aim of having it all done before we close rather than having to come in when we are on holiday.
Isabel and I have been working on re doing some plantings in the garden which haven’t worked, died or just need refreshed or have got over grown as they are the oldest areas and now 10 to 11 years old. We’ve gathered seed and potted up plants we’ve thinned out from the gardens, so there will be plenty Persicaria next year!
I harvested the medlars and sadly not as many as last year so I don’t think there will be enough for medlar cheese. I made that last year and it was a great hit at Christmas with our Christmas eve buffet.
The hedges are all cut and looking much better with all the material going onto the dead headge and the stock take sheets are printed out ready to start that big job next week. I also had the first use of my Hori hori knife having been dragged into the 21st century of gardening tools for my birthday. Its very good, though like most things designed for right handed people!
We still have a good selection of plants in our sale including 1 Prunus Autumnalis, 2 Asparagus, a few water plants, 4 roses, a few climbers, some grasses and a couple of tables of shrubs and perennials, so plenty to choose from. There are still a good choice of bulbs if you haven’t got your yet and theres still plenty time to plant bulbs and plants before it gets too cold.
This is a painting I’ve done before, but I didn’t get the scale right as I wanted to sit with my previous two wriggly tin building paintings, so I’ve done another this week which I think works much better.
Maisie and I had a lovely autumnal walk along the river and back through the woods after a garden consultation this morning in the town and then an afternoon at home catching up on chores
#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders #lifestyleblog #gardenblog If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk Follow us on Instagram quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants |














Comments
Post a Comment