Bulbs, Afternoon Tea and sunnier days

Spring in our garden at home, really enjoying renovating this garden, its quite different from the nursery gardens, which is good, its my wee escape from the world. All the bulbs I've planted in the last two years are filling up the borders with colour even on the wettest dullest days.


Lots of progress has seen Isabel finish the grasses stock beds which she's been working through for the past weeks, all tidied, top dressed and labelled. I've finished stock bed number 3. Lots of lovely healthy, hardy plants growing on despite this cold spring we've had and new plants potted up ready to grow on. Now onto stock bed number 4, only 10 to go. Meanwhile Isabel is starting the shrub stock bed.






At the Eastgate to see Wicked little Letters (brilliant by the way) and chips on the way home, we know how to live on a school night 🤣

Some nights I've had to fleece plants. It's forecast to be -1 and sometimes -4C at the nursery which means it will be colder than that 😕 I've draped fleece over a few things and covered my acers in my garden at home as they are just coming into leaf. 🤞 it's not too bad and spring springs soon.


It was great to get a dry day and get the mobile potting bench out and be working in the stock beds today instead of undercover at the potting bench. It makes the job more efficient and I can enjoy the views of the Pentlands and being out in some sun and blue skies ❤




When you are trying to get nursery dog to sit nicely amongst the cowslips.......you know what they say, never work with jack Russell's 🤣🤣🤣 🐕🐕🐕


We are always striving to offer more advice and help to our customers. One of the ways we do this is through our workshops. At the moment we do a willow weaving workshop in January and our Border design workshop in September. So what other workshops would you find useful and like to attend here at Quercus?




Afternoon tea at Peebles hydro thanks to a christmas gift ❤️ lovely views and bluebells in the wood. Food and service were excellent.











At last, some decent weather to enjoy the garden in the evening
Next level marshmallow toasting





Back in February I started landscaping around the summer house, I had in mind a dry river bed idea (first photo), but having done some of it and looked at it for two months I decided it wasn’t giving me any joy, I didn’t like it. So I decided to take all the cobbles out and start again. I spent this morning re designing it with left over gravel we had stored and the rest of the cobbles. I’m much happier with this, it ties the bamboo to the summer house and makes a feature of both. I’ve planted some plants amongst the gravel. The wee square blocks will continue as a path edge when we install the path from the gate and I’m going to get some metal edging for the lawn edge opposite the summer house doors. I will tweak bits of it I’m not 100% sure about, but over all job done.

The first attempt

Maisie "Helping"

The finished result







After a busy morning in the garden and then getting my fixed car back from the garage, Maisie and I headed off up the hill behind Peebles. Great views and great weather at last, buzzed by a big plane, which I'm told is an A400 atlas then back down through spoon wood to the house. Definitely a top up of vit D today. So good to have nice weather, especially on my day off.














 #rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders






 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants





Comments

  1. I just love those sceneries along your walks!
    Amazing to see a bluebell wood, here there are still snowdrops emerging from the ground!! Although many of them are getting over. It was just such a cold winter followed by a cold spring that the ground was frozen solid quite deep and took ages to thaw in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saila, or spring has been so wet, windy and cold, this week is the first week of some real spring warmth. I'm so lucky to live in a lovely part of Scotland with so many walks from my house. We only had snow two days this winter and it thawed very quickly so unusual for Scotland and very few frosts too!

      Delete

Post a Comment