A New year, hello 2024

New years day is always a strange one now the kids are away doing their own thing and its only me and old bah humbug in the house. In the past few years I've made sure we go out for a nice walk, so at least we've done something. Today I am still very much under the weather with this lurgy, bored of it and not getting all the things done I’d hoped this past week. With the weather being lovely I was determined to get out for some kind of walk today, planning to walk as far as I felt able, in the end we managed the whole 3 mile circular route from Manor bridge to Lyne Station and back the other side of the river, which was lovely, tho I have spent the rest of the day recovering on the sofa! Those that know me well will know this is not usual me, that being the annoyingly healthy always full of energy me! It was good to get out in the sun and for one of my favourite walks, so not altogether a rubbish start to 2024.



walking along the old railway line

The Old railway bridge at Lyne Station


Crossing the Tweed





One of a few new signs coming to the nursery gardens this spring. Winter is a great time to sit and write and design more signs and info boards to scatter around the nursery and gardens. We want our customers to get the most from their visit to Quercus and be able to take away the right advice for their own gardens 🙂 ❤


A hearty spicy sausage and bean stew, perfect for winter nights, with our own Cavalero nero kale fresh from the garden 💪🙂 Perfect served with chilli and cheese The Fat Batard Bakery bread.





First painting of 2024
Walking home in the rain
Using only 1 colour - paynes grey
We can all relate to this weather! A grey, wet misty day somewhere in Scotland ❤️



Lovely catch up with Becky today when she got the bus down to Peebles. We missed her at Christmas so it was good to spend time with her and enjoy a lovely lunch at Coltmans. Maisie Mouse definitely met her match lol 🤣 Becky managed to get the better of her several times.



Over to Kelso today to visit the antique flea market where I got another couple of the pelham puppets I collect. David muttered something about his one in one out policy and I agreed, one puppet in, one husband out….. 🤣🤣🤣 We went and picked up some cobbles form Border aggregates for my next project in the garden at home and then a lovely walk along the River Teviot. A new to us walk which is always good. Great to be out in the sun and the best I’ve felt in two weeks, hopefully this flu is over. We walked a way along the river then back through the ruins of Roxburgh Castle with great views over to Floors Castle. A lovely day out. One more day to go before I am back to the nursery and my winter break is over, Two months goes so fast!



The River Teviot







Floors Castle from Roxburgh Castle






A grand old chestnut tree










A very frosty day and the last day of my winter break, back to work tomorrow which will be a big shock to the system. Getting up early, out in the cold and starting the cycle of the nursery over again. I am struggling to get in the right frame of mind this year, to get going, usually I’m raring to go. Maisie and I had a walk along the river and through the woods between coats of paint in the cupboard. I saw the king fisher which was amazing, such a bright blue flying across the river. Of course too far away to get photos, but I am so pleased I saw it. David was away all day and with it being so cold I got on with starting painting our big walk in cupboard after filling all the holes in the wall and prepping it for painting the other day, each day sees less yellow aged nicotine walls and woodwork, decades of dust and badly done work by previous owners. Two coats of white on today and will need at least one more, if not two more on the ceiling.













 #rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders






 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants
 











Comments