"Dirty hands, iced tea, garden fragrances ......

......  thick in the air and a blanket of color before me, who could ask for more?" -   Bev Adams, Mountain Gardening

This crazy hot dry weather continues, its been weeks since any rain. The pressure of keeping all the plants watered in the nursery is so stressful on top of the nursery being so busy, I swear I've never worked so hard in my life and I am a self confessed grafter! Having lost so much stock due the severe cold in the winter it's a double kicker to be losing more stock to the extreme heat. It was 30C when we got home on Monday! Its lovely to see the nursery so busy and lots of new customers and its keeping us busy having enough stock available. Whitmuir has a great vibe to it these days with a busy cafe, a busy antiques and vintage emporium and us of course with our gardens and nursery. We work along side wonderful people and its a great place to be and having seen it in all sorts of states over the past 8 years this is certainly the best.

June sees Van Gogh meets Monet in the stream garden 🙂



 The bees are loving the poached plant now its in full flower 🐝💛🐝💛🐝

I love love the new colour of our potting shed, it took 5 coats to cover the original dark blue and re-hydrate the wood. Anyhoo I planted my favourite clematis against the shed tonight. I used to have Clematis wilsonii planted over the potting shed in my last garden so wanted to recreate this in our new garden. By the way did I mention its scented and smells of chocolate 😮 I have and want to create some of the planting combinations I had in my last garden, but obviously fitting a 2 acre garden into this wee town garden isn’t going to happen 🙄 but I can re-create elements of it, new twists on old ideas.




The sales area is restocked for the weekend and the
seasonal tables have taken on a soft palette of early summer colour




In our wildflower meadow today 🦋🐝🐜💚❤️



The flowers on my hoya are opening at last, they are beautiful. There are at least 50 flowers, probably more that I've missed!!!




We are now stocking these beautiful cards painted by local botanical artist Marianne Hazlewood, find them on the shelves on our counter ❤


Our vintage watering cans make great vases for flowers when we are propagating plants. This is Kalimeris incisa 🙂

I’m really happy with this plant combination I planted in the long stock bed border. Two years after planting it is really coming together. The subtle greens and whites are perfect for a shady area under the Betula jaquemontii trees at either end. Bright pops of Cirsium and Charophylllum compliment the other plants but add some bright colour in May and June.









Finding plenty newts in the stock beds at the moment ❤

When I went out into my garden this morning i could literally hear the plants and soil sigh with relief 🌿. Unless you are a gardener or a plant nursery owner you wont understand the immense relief of some rain last night after weeks of no rain, high temperatures and blazing sun. As our water supply comes off the hills its getting lower and lower as time goes on. Its added a whole other level of workload and stress to what is the busiest most stressful time in our nurseries year. This year has been even busier (which is great) I have never worked so hard, and I always work hard, i am a self confessed grafter 😄. No wonder I've lost 1.5 stone in weight! Anyway the pressure is off for one day watering wise, then no more rain fore cast for at least 2 weeks 😪


Finally home after another crazy day at the nursery, now for some much needed days off

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside. A garden consultation in Morningside this morning and then off to Portabello for lunch and a walk along the beach. It was certainly much cooler at the sea and more comfortable. Home via the nursery to water the tunnels. Having lost so much stock due the severe cold in the winter it's a double kicker to be losing more stock to the extreme heat. 30C when we got home
😮











A Maisie and me day while David is away gliding but it was way to hot again to do much. Under normal weather conditions I’d have another area of the back garden started but not today or this week or anytime soon. I did move 3 buckets of gravel to its new home, put the new shed windows in and cut and fit the trim around them but only cause that was in the shade! I can now see out my potting shed yay, what a lovely view. Meanwhile Rosa ‘Constance Spry’ is flowering beautifully while waiting for her planting spot against the new back fence to be finished. Lunch was by Coltmans deli take away while I was up the High Street doing erands. I have surprised myself at just how much I am loving town life, but it is Peebles and a great place to live, we have the best of the country 2 mins away along the river and the high street 5 minutes away in the other direction.





Rosa ‘Constance Spry’








 #rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders






 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants








Comments