"Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun."

We are now in the busy busy silly season, so there won't be much chat but hopefully some photos. The nursery is doing well and we are busy with customers but we could desperately so with some rain. Watering the plants is not easy now. 

Sun on the loch

On the edge of the woods


Anemone blanda ‘White Splendour’
I first bought this for my own garden back in 2001 when I was turning 2 acres of overgrown field and woodland into a garden. I had it planted in a mixed border in amongst other perennials where it put on a great show every late spring. I lifted some to bring with me when I moved house and planted in a trough with other plants. When I finally sorted out the troughs a couple of years ago I spread the left over soil in the borders I was creating on the bottom terrace at the time. There must have been lots of bits of roots I’d missed because there are plants popping up all over the place in these borders which is great. It reminds of good times in that garden, in the beginning. A gently spreading anemone with dark green leaves and solitary large white flowers with pink-tinged backs from March to April. Plant in sun or partial shade. H 15cm, S 15cm to 20cm.


 When you visit Whitmuir why not enjoy a walk round the newly revamped woodland farm walk. There's lots to see, views to enjoy and see if you can spot the new animals in the fields and wild flowers in the woods.










Our Nothofagus antarctica has had an abundance of flowers this year, but you have to look close to see them. They may be small but they are lovely, hanging below the branches in a pale apricot cream colour. This tree is an elegant specimen tree which is native to South America which can be found from Cape Horn northward up to the Andes. The branchlets, arranged in a herringbone formation are covered in glossy, small, bright green leaves. The bare trunk and branches are especially striking in winter when the horizontal silvery-grey lenticels stand out against the chocolate col-oured bark. It has a distictive and striking growth habit which is as interesting in winter as at any other time of year. A spectacular garden tree once established which deserves to be more widely planted! It will grow in full sun or partial shade in well drained, moist and fertile soil. Height 65 feet, Spread 32 feet.






Behind the scenes - this is one of our two tunnels, both are stuffed full of plants. This tunnel is full of all the plants that have been potted up from propagation by cuttings, seed sowing or division. Once rooted through the plants then come over to the nursery to be further potted or straight into sales or the stock beds. All the larger plants on both sides are plants propagated last year and I'm gradually bringing all those over to be potted and go out for sale in the nursery. All the smaller plants on the right at the top are this years propagation so far! Isabel has been potting all the seedlings ready to pot from this years sowing and Fiona has been potting up all the cuttings and seedlings left from last year. I've been propagating plants as I've been working through the stock beds.
Its a very busy time in the nursery with potting, propagation, tidying the stock beds, keeping the sales area full and keeping on top of the weeds in the gardens pulling orders, admin and helping our customers when they visit.
But seeing and hearing our customers enjoying their visit, loving our gardens and making some purchases from our plant selection makes it all worth while 😃


I was going to start this post by saying I had a lovely relaxing day at home in my own garden……. And I did, but most people would think I was mad when I say how much we got done 😃 and you would not be the first .... to call me mad.... but for me its what I love, creating my own space to enjoy, making a new garden and making our wee place ours 😊 Who knew such a wee hoose and garden could created so much rubbish! Yet more trips to the tip today, 3 in total getting rid of rubble, garden rubbish and general rubbish we’ve found under the huge leylandii hedge. Thank goodness for Davids big truck! This all need cleared for the hedge to be removed. At least the weather was lovely. We enjoyed lunch in the garden then I thought I’d have a poke about the front of the potting shed which is the area I want to sort out next before I paint the shed. Then before I knew it, I sorted it, planted it and job done! The great thing about this garden is there is so much stuff lying around we have recycled so much and bought very little to achieve the results we have achieved so far. Big thanks to David for all his help carting everything to the tip and putting up with my garden ideas 😃








Simply some wildflower silhouettes

A Maisie and me day, so we went to Dawyck, well I did, she slept in the car. The bluebells were lovely, so if you want a bluebell fix get along to Dawyck. Sadly the Rhodos and azaleas have suffered a lot of damage from the bitterly cold December weather. Hardly any are in flower and they look very damaged, so sad 🙁 The Meconopsis and Trilliums and unfurling ferns were looking great. A coffee and cake in the café then a walk with Crazy Maisie. We did the circular walk from Manor bridge to Lyne station along the old railway line, across the Tweed and back along the other side through the woods and back along the river. A 3 mile walk in lovely weather, then home for lunch and an afternoon of domestic chores.

Trillium

Fresh spring Acer leaves

Bluebells at Dawyck



Copper beach leaves

Ferns unfurling

Matteucia and Bluebells

Mecenopsis


Rhododendrons



Walking along the old railway line

Wildflowers at the side of the Tweed



Crossing the Tweed

Hawthorn flowers
Manor Bridge



Title quote - Kahlil Gibran



 #rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders






 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants






Comments