Spring is Springing, slowly but surely

Reading back my blog posts from previous years confirmed my suspicions that we always get a does of wintery weather at this point in March, just after the nursery has opened. Sometimes its a beast from the east sometimes just low temperatures and snow. As I often say to customers, we are never out of winter up here until May, its sounds funny but its true. Another thing that occurred to me as I scrolled down is in autumn this year I will have been writing this blog for 10 years, which seems impossible and crazy its been so long! Its a valuable, illustrated online diary of life, what I've done in my gardens and of the history of our plant nursery.


We have some potted bulbs in stock, mainly tulips and Camassia, ideal for spring colour in pots and in the ground. Who else can't wait for warm weather and real spring? I'm bored being cold 😕
🌷 Camassia cusickii
🌷 Camassia leichtlinii caerulea
🌷 Camassia leichtlinii 'Plena'
🌷 Tulip 'Kingsblood'
🌷 Tulip 'Princess Irene'
🌷 Tulip 'Ronaldo'
🌷 Tulip 'Yellow Empress'
🌷 Narcissus 'Tete a Tete'


We got our herb garden benches back on Monday, they've been away getting refurbished by my youngest son Daniel. He's made a grand job of them and it lovely to have them back in the gardens. You can sit and enjoy the scents of the herb garden, the sound of the birds and insect and hopefully in the sun soon.



This week's effort - an orchid


Colour in the sales area

This is my favourite crocus, Crocus 'Pickwick', flowering in the nursery gardens at the moment. I love its unashamed big stripy flowers and contrasting bright orange stamens. A joy on wet cold days.
Crocus 'Pickwick'

Thank you to my lovely boys for my mother's day gifts, including the ones stuck in the post. A surprise visit at the nursery from Daniel, it was lovely to spend the day with him and now he's home with us for dinner ❤️



Another willow project I've been planning was this border / path edge. The part of the woodland garden border is about 8 inches above the path so needed something to retain it and stop the soil falling onto the path. I've seen this used in other gardens and thought it would be perfect for here. I used some nice straight hazel branches cut into lengths and hammered in about 18 inches apart along the path. Then I wove in the remaining willow I had left form weaving the fedge on the bottom terrace. I'm really pleased with it and now just need to get some soil to level up behind it 😃





An hour in my front garden this morning, tidying and enjoying the daffodils I planted last autumn. The Hellebore is one I raised from seedlings of plants in my last garden. Can't wait to get the rest of the front garden planted, hopefuly soon 🤞

A hellebore selected from my own seedlings

Narcissus 'Dutch master'

Narcissus cyclamineus 'Jenny'

Narcissus cyclamineus 'Jenny'

Narcissus cyclamineus 'Jenny'



 #rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders






 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener and Quercus Garden Plants

Comments