"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."

First week off and time to try and relax and breath, catch up and then get away from some R&R. Now that the first wave of grief is passing I can feel a low level depression setting in. This is something I'm very familiar with and will need to work at not allowing to take hold. I don't want to spoil the only holiday we get for David or myself so some hard work on my mind set will be needed over the next few days. Maybe a change of scene when we are away will help. Not an exciting first day off, but I do have a tidy house and a very clean car. Thanks to Sam at Passion Auto detailing for reclaiming my wee car from the dirt inside and out. Its now respectable to go away on holiday.

Poppy having a snoze on the back of the sofa

autumn view from the kitchen

10000 rain gardens for Scotland - In a week where climate change is very much at the forefront of the news, its often difficult to know what we can all do as individuals to make enough of a difference. As I often say to our customers if we all do something it adds up to an even bigger something. So here's an idea that we can all get involved in. I've just registered Quercus as a place that has quite a few features that qualify as a rain garden.
If you have a water butt, permeable hard standing, lots of plants, a pond and so on you already have a rain garden. There are also lots of ideas if you google Rain Gardens. Here is the link to their website:



Took myself off to Dawyck Botanic gardens on Tuesday to see the autumn colours. As an arboretum Dawyck is always especially good in autumn but this year the colours seem to be more vivid than usual as they are all over the country. The Acers were amazing as you can see in the photos, and as usual I took too many, but it was just lovely. Treated myself to a scone and coffee in the cafe then headed home via Cardronna forest for a walk. I'll do another blog post with more photos about my visit.



On the way back from Dawyck on Tuesday I stopped off to go for a walk in Cardronna. this has been a tricky thing to navigate ............... when you are so used to going for a walk with a dog at your side, for the dog needs a walk, you need a walk, I love walking............. but doing that when you don't have your doggy pal at your side........ thats been so hard and I really had to phsyc myself up to do it. So I went somewhere I've only been once with Bracken, not one of our regular walks. It was ok, the autumn colours were great, I really did a power walk up that hill and back down again. 4 miles of fast walking.











After dropping Poppy cat off at Granny for her holidays we went through to see Jamie and Natasha and the house they've just bought. Super happy for them and excited to see what they do with their restoration project. They even have a greenhouse twice the size of mine with a fig, olive, kiwi, peach and grape vine in it! A huge bay tree outside and views over to Ben Lomond and beyond. Spent part of the afternoon identifying and labelling plants with Natasha, I will be back from pruning lessons 😊 They have a great home and project to work on. Wishing them all the best in their new home.





I went to make sure the greenhouse is working ok after a frosty, cold night last night, checked the nursery and then a walk at Milkhall Ponds with some lovely reflections in the water. Home to do some admin and pack.

















Title quote - Elizabeth Lawrence



#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders



Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 



 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you 

Comments