"Sometimes I wonder what I'm a-gonna do...........

 ....... 'Cause there ain't no cure for the summertime blues." -  Eddie Cochran 


Well, I was certainly glad to see some rain at last as I'm sure most gardeners were. Though it is not nearly enough to make a difference, but a welcome break for a day from watering. Although the forecast rain didn't come to much the cooler days and overcast skies certainly slow down drying out of the plants. David has worked hard to increase capacity and make sure all corners of the nursery are covered for watering which has made life so much easier. He is a star. I am almost finished the annual tidy of the stock beds, exciting. I've still a lot of potting to do but I feel I'm getting somewhere at last. The gardens are still looking amazing and well worth a visit.

Here are some views from around the nursery gardens this week

The entrance borders



Sanguisorba officinalis


The sedum roof of the bug hotel


I was tidying the aquatic plant sales area this week and there are so many flowers buds on the waterlilies. Every pink flowered plant has a bud and they've all grown into great sized plants. There are yellow, white, pink and red flowered varieties. They are £27.95.
We still have aquatic soil and lots of marginals if your pond needs a mid summer boost.



Friday night in Glasgow meeting up for dinner with Ben, Jamie, Daniel, Natasha and Betty. Making up for all the missed birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries and being together and celebrating new jobs, qualifications, success and being family in the past year and a half.

We hired a room at the The Butterfly and the Pig and had a great night, food, drink and the best company. So proud of every one of them and the wonderful young people they are. They make me very happy and I’m blessed to have them and see them grow and making their way in the world.




it took 10 shots to get this one lol




Bracken vole hunting

More seasonal highlights from the nursery gardens this week

Verbascum chaixii 'Album'

Lupinus 'The Governor' (Band of Nobles Series), Rosa shrub 'Maidens Blush' and Veronicastrum virginicum 'Pointed Finger'

Geum 'Lady Stratheden' and Deschampsia (2)

Anthemis tinctoria 'Kelwayi' and Potentilla 'Melton Fire'

Although Quercus is all about tough hardy plants, I do have a soft (or spiny) spot for exotic plants, cacti and succulents. In fact cacti and succulents are the plants that got me into gardening as a child. I filled my bedroom window sill in the house I grew up in with cacti and that collection expanded when I got my first house with a garden and bought a greenhouse. That collection has expanded to include Pelargoniums, mainly species and scented, of which I have over 60! I love when i get a rare chance to potter in my greenhouse, tidying, watering and enjoying a chance to catch up with my plants 🙂 🌵🌵🌵

Aeonium 'Zwartkop'

Aeonium arboreum 'Magnificum'

Agapanthus 'Bridal Bouquet'





Clivia

Chocolate cosmos


An afternoon in Edinburgh visiting the Galloway horde at the NMS and then meeting up with Becky, David's daughter for lunch. Bracken is much better, thank goodness. Good to get into town, forgot how much I love going into Edinburgh, and it was busy. We enjoyed a walk through Princes Street gardens and some of the old town.











The Floral clock in Prinses Stree Gardens






#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders



Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 



 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you 

Comments