Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet

Hi there, bit of a radio silence over the past couple of days from me. Quite a few stressful things going on at the moment so I wanted to make full use of my two days off on Monday and Tuesday. So here are some lovely flowers doing their thing this week in the nursery gardens. The aster is particular wonderful. I grew it in my last garden and managed to track some down to plant in the nursery gardens last autumn. Its great to see it flowering in its first year. Hopefully I will have some for sale once they have bulked up and I can propagate from them.

Onwards and upwards, who knows what this week will bring? A lottery win would be very useful.

Hemerocallis 'Double River Wye'

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Aster diplostephioides

Aster diplostephioides

Aster diplostephioides

Anthemis tinctoria 'Kelwayi' and Potentilla 'Melton Fire'

I can't get enough of the Echinacea growing in the railway garden. I'm just so happy they came through the winter and spring we had and are growing very well and covered in flowers. Its just proves what I am always saying, give the plants the conditions they need and they will reward you. I've lost all previous Echinacea because we are growing on wet clay soil. So I've planted them in the best draining area we have which is the Railway garden. They are also in full sun there and are thriving.

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Echinacea purpurea 'Brilliant Star'

Echinacea purpurea 'Powwow Wild Berry'

Echinacea purpurea 'Powwow Wild Berry'

Echinacea purpurea 'Powwow Wild Berry'

Whilst the watering cans aren't a functioning water feature yet, I've made use of their water holding abilities to display flowers cut from propagation material. It seems such a shame to throw the flowers out and they last well outside in their watering vases 🙂
Galvanised watering cans are available from Viki at Junkshopantiques here at Whitmuir. She is open Saturday and Sunday 10am to 4pm or by appointment





We might be missing those pure blue skies and sunshine, but there have been some dramatic skies this past week. Setting off the late summer flowers in brief sunshine, I love a bit of drama in the sky.







Today we had a trip to Perthshire and Drummond Castle Gardens. A spectacular 18th century formal garden which also featured as the gardens of Versailles in Outlander. I realised on the way there its 30 years since I last visited, shit how can that much time have passed? Somewhere there is a photo of me with a bad late 80’s perm taken in the gardens. Anyway I digress, we managed to get the best of the weather for our visit. Bracken has done the same as last week, looking at deaths door on the Monday and fit as a fiddle on the Tuesday, what is all that about? He met with a robo lawn mower which he wasn’t sure about at all and eyed up the peacocks for lunch! We headed off for a pub lunch in Crieff when the heavens opened and the rain was torrential. A drive home through Perthshire enjoying the views and the sun.
These photos are taken with my new phone and the camera on it is awesome. So much better quality than my big fancy DSLR, so many more pixals, the colour and detail are amazing and much more portable. I am blown away with the quality of the photos and what I can do with the camera in the phone

Drummond Castle Gardens




This is how Bracken sees himself,
the noble hound of the estate



Bracken meets a robo lawnmower




A day off, another garden



Snap Dragons

Fuchsias galore








Title Quote - . Roger Miller 


#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders



Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 



 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook



Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you 

Comments

Post a Comment