"The March wind roars Like a lion in the sky........

....... and makes us shiver as he passes by. when winds are soft, and the days are warm and clear, just like a gentle lamb, then spring is here." - Author Unknown

Rheum palmatum

I spent Wednesday in the stockbeds determined to make more progress and I did, I turned a corner lol .................. getting to the end of the the first bed and tomorrow I will start the next one. I got my mobile potting and weeding bench set up and enjoyed working away in the sun. Despite the wind it wasn't too cold. Great to get the first bed finished with lots of potting done too.






 So excited to receive my first The Boozy Book Club box when I got home form work today. Lots of gorgeous goodies to enjoy based around this lovely book by Katherine May. Rum Coorie cocktail with straw and fruit by Herringbone, pulse point balm by Miel Botanicals, a candle by Laura Thomas Co, a card, bookmark and all beautifully packaged. Can't wait to try it all :)




Who else still loves seeing those wee seedlings sprouting, no matter how long you've been gardening? I love it, new life, another year in the garden, things to look forward too, gardening aways gives us hope and something to take us beyond the now

veg seedlings are sprouting

I'm having a relaxing night off watching a presentation by
National Museums Scotland
about the Galloway hoard, enjoying the cocktail and scented candle from my boozy book club box, lovely after a cold day at work 😊




March and time to repot my houseplants, having said that its a year or so since they were last done, ok maybe a bit longer than that! 🙄Remember, do as I say, not as I do folks 😃 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Anyway they all look much better with fresh compost and a feed. Another task done, busmans holiday on my day off lol







Well I had all the weathers in the nursery on Friday! Rain, sleet, hail, snow, sun, wind................... more stock beds tidied, more seeds sown and the wild flower table in the sales area filled up ready for when we open. Primroses are flowering already in the sales area, definitely a sign of spring no matter the weather.

Primula vulgaris


Another big task ticked off the list list on Sunday 😮 We re-covered the shade tunnel in the sales area. Over the last two winters its taken a battering with holes and rips appearing and finally this winter was too much and the net came apart at the seems (I know the feeling 😃 ) New net ordered and today we finally got it put on. On a windy day too 🤦 it went remarkably well and David and I didn't even fall out! It looks fab, with new signs too, its all go! I will be filling up the tables this week ready for opening on 7th April.





Monday was back to working with plants and I spent most of it in the poly tunnel out of the wind, tidying, potting and propagating herbs. It was some weather, and the tunnel fairly rattled with it. Back in the nursery I also tidied my auricula Primula collection, brought them out of the wee tunnel, fed them and top dressed with gravel before putting them in the vertical planter for spring. You can see why I collect them, the colours are stunning, some have grey leaves, crinkled leaves, farina on flowers and leaves and some are scented! Thanks to brexit the nursery I buy a lot from is in France and are not shipping to Britain for the foreseeable.
Getting the Auricula primulas out of the tunnel



Tuesday and our day off so we walked from Melrose to Newstead along the River Tweed, then uphill for a picnic with a view, along the Rhymers stone and back down to Melrose. Lovely weather and great to explore another local walk.


Arabis growing in the walls in Melrose

Walking along the river Tweed


Wild violas and strawberries

Striding out along the river


Butterbut

Newstead

Newstead

Old railway bridge

I love old paths like this

Picnic time

Picnic bench with a view

The Rhymers Stone

Cherry blossom

Our walking route


Well thats another week done and only one more before we can open, there's lots to do in the nursery to get organised for the 7th of April. It will be lovely to see customers in person again.




#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders



Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                            The quirky Bird Gardener 


 If you to see what's new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you





Comments