The gardening season officially begins on January 1st, and ends on December 31

Sunday and into the nursery to make the most of the dry weather and get some winter tasks done before the end of the year. The weather has been very calm and windless for a week or so which is quite strange for Scotland in winter, I'm sure it won't be long until it changes! It has also been quite damp and overcast, not many sunny winter days at the moment. So making the most of the calm weather I got 200 tulips planted in the wildflower meadow. I've stuck to a colour scheme of cream, purple and pink and can't wait to see them flower, I love tulips. I'm hoping they will cope with the competition from the grass in the meadow, they should as I've seen plenty photos of tulips in meadows. I got some rubbish burnt and all the leaves lifted in the sales area. Doing my ghost buster imitation with my leaf blower, best bit of kit I ever bought.

Clearing behind the office with a bonfire

Planting 200 tulips in the wildflower meadow

I treated myself to a glass of wine and an extra large piece of chocolate after beating my own record for the number of days it takes me to lift the leaves in the sales area and track. This year it took me two days! Previously its taken 3.5 to 4 days and before I bought my leaf blower it took 5+ days of crawling around on my hands and knees lifting them by hand! Another big winter job done and dusted 🙂 A lovely sunset to finish off the day, bonus 🙂

A leaf free sales area

Now you see them

Now you don't 



Meanwhile at home in the christmas department, I didn't have any allium seed heads this year but the angelica seed heads have done just grand. I sprayed them with silver spray this afternoon and they are adding a bit of Christmas bling to the kitchen window sill.


Cant beat a wee bit of winter exercise. I was in potting up some new plants today so thought I'd make a start on turning the compost heaps while I was there. This is the best compost we've made, which also made it much easier to turn. Looking forward to getting it on some of the borders in spring next year. Didn't get this bin finishes as it was getting dark but will do when I am next in. There was a wee robin bopping about hoping for grubs, but it wouldn't stay for a photo.



Another day, another bookshop and a wander round the shops in Innerleithen then a walk through the woods below Pirn Hill. A bit damp, but good to stretch the old legs.

We love a book shop, Last century books in Innerleithen






I love decorating the house for christmas and this cottage lends itself perfectly to being decorated. Last year it was all a bit of a rush as we moved in a year ago this week, two weeks before christmas! We got the tree locally in Peebles and its one of the best we've ever had.






A good week of relaxing days at home, getting tasks done in the nursery and preparing for christmas. We are finalising plans to see some family for a socially distanced out door boxing day christmas picnic. I haven't seen two of my sons for six months and really hope I can see all three of them, even if I cant give them a hug. This has been such a hard year for us all.


Title quote - - Marie Huston




#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders #hillwalking #Peebleshills


Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                            The quirky Bird Gardener 


 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you





Comments