A walk from Peebles to Home via Dunrig, Deuchar Hill and the SUW

........... or when hill walks don't go quite to plan. I've been planning this walk since we moved to the cottage and finally had the time now I was off and had a good weather day at the beginning of November. This walk involved David dropping Bracken and I on the south side of Peebles and we planned to walk up towards Dun Rig and then cut off towards the forestry and follow the edge of that to the Southern upland Way and then home via the SUW. We are very lucky our cottage is situated just below the SUW, so plenty opportunity for good walking. A walk of seven miles but a lot of uphill and typical southern uplands boggy underfoot conditions!


The walk starts at Glen Road on the south east side of Peebles. Following the track between an avenue of trees, the path climbs down to the Haystoun burn where you cross over a bridge. From here the path starts to climb upwards following the route of an old drove road which would have eventually taken you to the valley of St Mary's Loch. The blue skies and autumn colours were lovely as we set off. The path on this first bit varies from narrow stony path to broad grass paths, but easy to follow at all times.


The Haystoun Burn

As we headed uphill and once through the woodland, the valleys on all sides open up and we had great views over Peebles to the north, Glensax to the West and the Tweed valley to the east. After coming out of the woodland the path heads ever upwards over a mainly grass path, keeping the stone wall to your right for the first part. Th epath dips down between two hills and then you are out onto the open hillside up the spine of the hills on the east side of Glensax. You can now see Dun Rig, the biggest hill in this horseshoe of  hills, a Graeme and Donald at the head of the valley. 


Walking through Larch trees

The views open up over Peebles and the Peebles Hydro


Looking back over Peebles


The view east over Kailzie towards Cardrona

Dun Rig in the distance


Looking back from Kailzie Hill

Once on Kailzie Hill the hill side opens up and we leave the stone wall behind and climb up over open hill side. With part of Cardrona Forest on the other side of the fence to the east and Glensax to the west there is still a lot of uphill to go. Leaving the forestry behind the path climbs up the side of Birkscairn Hill to the top where there is a pile of stones to mark the top. 

Looking back from the side of Birkscairn Hill with Glensax to the
 left and the edge of Cardrona forest to the right

Looking back from the top of Birkscairn, you can see the spine of the hill we have climbed

A weary dog

Following the path down the other side of Birkscairn there is a sign and path off to the left over the fence. This was the path that would take us over towards the forestry. It was at this point that things started to not go to plan. Bracken decided he had enough. After a lot of encouragement and persuasion he decided he was not going any further! I carried him for a wee while, but despite being a wee dog he is heavy and carrying him for any distance just wasn't possible. At this point we were about half way, so I stopped for a bar of chocolate and to decide our next move! 

The solution!

I decided as we were already half way round that what ever way we went was going to be the same distance. I also decided to see if I could fit Bracken in my rucksack. Thank goodness I decided to bring my bigger rucksack! After moving things around in it, I managed to get him in, with the top flap loosely fastened around the side of his head. Once on my back it was no different from having my gear for a full day hike on my back. This meant I could pick up the pace again, having lost time deciding what to do and carrying him for a while. The bar of chocolate helped too. 

Heading south along the slope of Strake Law

The next path was smaller and headed across the slope of Strake Law towards the forestry plantation, our next destination. According to the map this path takes you to the forestry and through it. Unfortunately it seems to disappear a fare distance from the forest. So I cut across towards the corner of fence I knew would take me to the point where I could then follow the forestry edge to the SUW. As is always the way the southern uplands at some point will become a boggy myre with a few peat hags thrown in. Having been on so many hill walks, they end up being a doddle and part of the walk, and soon we were on drier land again and at the fence and the edge of the forest. 

Deuchar Law ahead and a bit of a climb

Now I could see down into the next valley and hill so decided to have a lunch stop, let Bracken out the rucksack and have a rest, me not him! Restored with some food and drink, Bracken was inserted back in the rucksack and I set off again, not looking forward to the climb up to Deuchars Law. It wasnt as boggy at the bottom as I thought it might be, and on with the climb up.

Lunch stop, sharing a cheese sandwich

Looking back from part way up Deuchars law back the way we've come

There is nothing better than getting to the top of another hill and knowing more or less its down hill all the way from there. This was the biggest hill walk I'd done for a while, so my wee legs were feeling it, plus carrying a dog for several miles definitely has an impact. Once at the top of Deuchars Law I cut off along the fence line to cut of the corner and meet the SUW further along. 

Looking along the fence line on Deuchers Law, still plenty blue sky

Great sky looking back


Once we were back on the Southern Upland Way it was easy walking for my tired legs up to Blake Law and from there it really is down hill all the way home. There were some lovely late afternoon views over Innerleithen, but sorry no photos, I was now just focused on getting Bracken and I home. Forty minutes later we were home and Bracken got a bath and I had a very much needed shower. We had a very relaxing evening! 

The bathed doglet
Dinner had and time for snoozing, and he spent half the walk in a rucksack!

 
I thoroughly enjoyed my walk, even if I was exhausted at the end. It's made me realise Bracken is getting a bit older and longer walks are no longer his thing, which has made me very sad. It was the same when my old dog Sam stopped joining me on hill walks, so sad. 




#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders #hillwalking #Peebleshills


Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                            The quirky Bird Gardener 


 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you

Comments

Post a Comment