"A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows."


What a week of weather, torrential rain one day hot and sunny the next. Wednesday was particularly wet - The word for Wednesday was drookit. I was drookit, the ground was drookit, everything was drookit! Upside is I won't have to water the nursery this week, we still had lots of lovely hardy customers visiting and David had one of my favourite dinners ready when I got home.





I've been doing lots of propagation to fill in the gaps in the stock list after selling out of so many plants this summer. Sometimes its cuttings gathering in seed or lifting and splitting plants and potting them up. It seems a shame to through the flowers out from the stems I'm using. The rose was a casualty of the wind and rain earlier in the week and smells amazing in the vase on the counter. Rudbeckia lanceolata, Astilbe 'Erica' and Rose 'Fragrant Cloud'.


I've not been feeling that great this week, so I'll mainly let the pictures speak for themselves. I find myself looking forward to my days off more and more. This year has been extraordinarily stressful in so many ways, and I don't think I've had time to recover from one thing and process it before being plunged into something else. For now I'd love a good night's sleep, that elusive feeling of feeling refreshed and not exhausted. 
Never forget to look up, even when everything is feeling too much

Candyfloss for the garden, Filipendula rubra 'Venusta'

Echinops and Persicaria

Filipendula 'Venuata' again

Thalictrum delaveyi

Verbascum chaixii 'Album'

Veronicastrum virginicum 'Lavendelturm'

Veronicastrum virginicum 'Lavendelturm'and Filipendula 'Venusta'

Veronicastrum virginicum 'Lavendelturm' and Sanguisorba officinalis

Winter is coming, Rowan berries outside the cottage



Wine anyone?  Can't imagine they will ripen, its been along time since I've had grapes on this vine, it's been through the house moving trauma along with us over the past few year, but I can dream.

A colourful salad for tea

A quick trip in to Peebles in the morning to do a few errands, too warm for masks but needs must. Home to clean the house and then thought I'd go and lie out in the sun for half an hour........ 2 hours later, still good for me to relax for a while, not something I am good at. Bracken enjoyed his snooze in the sun too. 

Snoozing in the sun

On Tuesday, our 3rd wedding anniversary, we had a lovely day off with a garden consultation in gullane, lunch in Tyningham in the lovely cafe there. Then a walk on Belhaven Beach, Dunbar visiting my childhood haunts, a visit to family graves in Dunbar and Spott, I'm the only one left to lay flowers for them. We also wanted to see the memorial bench for my Uncle Andy in Spott Churchyard. Home via the back roads and lanes of East Lothian. The weather was better than forecast, warm and no thunder and rain until we were heading home via Galasheils to do the food shop.















Title quote -  St. Francis of Assisi 




#rural #countrylife #countryliving #cottagelife #antiquecottagescenes #interiors #scottishborders #independantretailer #smallbusiness #localbusiness #independantplantnursery #uniqueplantnursery #hardyscottishplants #scottishgarden #gardeningontheedge #scottishborders


Find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                            The quirky Bird Gardener 


 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you

Comments