Catching up on a Summer full of family, friends and food

Not only has it been very busy in the nursery over summer we've been busy else where too. We've had lovely days out, a couple of days away for our first wedding anniversary and spent time with family and friends. 

One of the biggest highlights was spending the day in Glasgow with middle son Jamie as he graduated from university after four years of hard work. Queue proud Mum moment! With a first class honours with distinction in computer security and ethical hacking (yes it's a thing) he has done very well along with holding down a job to be able to pay his way. Jamie's girlfriend Natasha, his granny and my self cheered from the balcony of the concert hall as he was awarded with his degree and then we celebrated with drinks and dinner with the rest of the gang. Happy family day.












Eldest son Ben



Because of all the great sunny weather we had there were some great skies and sunsets too







The summer weather meant we sat outside for meals more than ever, enjoying leisurely coffees, a 
glass of wine or a few and lovely summery salads. 

A mega fruit cheesy salad

A very colourful dinner!

Lovely light over the fields on summer evenings

Pelargonium gibbosum, a new addition to my collection

In July we also did a walk from South Queensferry through the Dalmeny estate and back and we visited Edinburgh botanics with David's Mum and brother Ian. We took a trip to Anstruther where we parked the car and got the bus to Crail and walked back along the coastal path, with a picnic at Crail harbour and fish and chips in Anstruther it was a great day out. More about those in another blog.

David's mum visited for a couple of weeks,
needless to say Bracken made good use of this and
was spoiled rotten

All too soon it was August and the first weekend saw me driving up to Inveraray on my own for a slightly terrifying reunion with some of my classmates from college, most of whom I haven't seen for 30 years! We had a great evening, dinner and drinks catching up and by the end of the evening it was like 30 years had never been. Georgina and I shared a camping pod, which was ok, bit uncomfortable on the floor (I'm not a camper, I like my luxuries when I'm on holiday lol).

30 years later, just more wrinkles and stories to tell!

The traditional Inveraray photo after a long drive on my own

Another trip into Glasgow for Jamie's birthday and in
which David poses for yet another selfie!

Natasha and Jamie

Happy birthday to me, cake by Daniel
Hippeastrum flowering again, it's confused





























I'm sure my sons love me really lol

I got to go on a couple of surveys with David to visit old buildings, which are always fascinating. If you've ever visited Holyrood Architectural Salvage in Edinburgh you'll recognise the first one. This was also the biggest survey team survey David's business has done, so at the end we celebrated with batman cake and champagne.







Another day and another abandoned building, this time an old hospital up on the east coast near Montrose. This is an ongoing job that David has been working on for several years as there are so many huge buildings. 
















I've been doing a bit of cooking and baking again, using up the flour we bought last year in Winchester on our honeymoon and other new tasty meals.

Cheese scones for David

Chicken tagine ingredients







Chicken tagine 
A jug from Normandy, a sign from Arizona,
flour from Winchester, a multinational
breakfast setting!

Else where in August David, Bracken and I had a trip to Crawick Multiverse, I visited Portmore for the WRAGS 25 anniversary celebration and I finally got to visit Little Sparta gardens. We also went to Falkland Palace and gardens for a day out. Daniel and I attended a concert at Whitmuir by a 45 piece orchestra which was great and well attended, food provided by Whitmuir. David and I snuck away for three days to stay in a tree house for our first wedding anniversary.

I'm not going to mention the garden at home, it's a bit of a non starter and a professional gardener's embarasment, but the plants are still alive and thriving, possible on neglect. I have repotted a lot of my shrubs and started on the climbers to help them get through another year of being pots. They've done exceptionally well so far. I didn't have in mind four years later we'd still be renting and my plants would still be in pots. This looks set to continue for a while yet too.

So until the next time have a great weekend.



#summerfun #familyandfriends #glagowcaledonianuniversitygraduation2018 #sunset #summerskies #goodfood #homemadefood #summerfood #Pelargonium gibbosum #abandonedbuildings #winchestercitymillflour





If you want to find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                                      The quirky Bird Gardener 


 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                         Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


You can now sign up for our monthly newsletter on the facebook page or by emailing us to be added to our mailing list



All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you



Comments