Heading into a second Heatwave!

I've managed to get my orchid to flower for a third time!

As I write this the temperature is crazy hot for Scotland, it was 28C during the day at the nursery, which is mad and hard to work in! The temperature has been gradually rising from the storm and cold weather of the week before. In the nursery I have finally finished the spring clean of the main stock beds which became a summer clean, as I was so late starting due to all that winter weather. I'm now working through the shade stock beds, there's a bit of potting to do so it will take a while longer, but looking so much better already. Did you know we have a page on our website for dry shade plants? Find it here Dry Shade.

Stachys, chives and catmint in the stock bed borders

I haven't had a chance to take many photos recently, but the gardens and nursery are looking fab with lots of colour and interest. We've still got some veg and annual seedlings available and annuals herbs including dill and coriander. Perfect for flavouring salads and for BBQ's and alfresco eating in this lovely weather.

Herbs in the herb garden in the nursery

Elsewhere in the nursery I am potting perennial seedling as they germinate in the tunnel, there are lots of new plants coming into the sales area next year and I'm looking forward to sharing them with you. I'm also doing lots of cuttings and bulking up batch quantities, I never lose the love of creating new plants. 

Plenty seedlings waiting to be potted

I've started clearing another area that I started two years ago and never got back to. I planted a thuja hedge there too and the poor thing has been totally overcome with weeds. I have all the plants I want to plant in this new border so I am determined to get it cleared, dug over and planted over the summer. The theme of this one will be pink, in between box cubes. 

Starting to lift the weeds for the pink border

On Sunday I did my first walk and talk event in the nursery. I had 7 people turn up and we had a lovely walk around the gardens and nursery where I explained what we're doing, what we've done and about our conditions and plans for the nursery. We had lots of lively discussion and great questions, and it was lovely to get great feed back too. 

You can come along to our next event, An intoduction to herbs in the garden, see link for details


In the garden at home there is plenty colour in the portable garden. I'm impressed with how well plants are coping into their forth year in their pots and troughs. The Astrantias are in full flower, highlighted by Trollius, Dactolorhiza and Irises. 






With the return of the hot sunny weather we've been eating outside a lot and eating lighter, easy to prepare meals. Just whats needed after exhausting days at the nursery.

Bang bang chicken

Balsamic beef and beetroot salad

Despite sunbathing appearances in these photos the doglet and I  had a busy day on Monday. Two doctors appointments (me), the house cleaned and all the front garden borders and patio pots tidied (under doglet supervision), 4 loads of washing done and dry. Planning to get my Mondays off back so I can get back to just working 5 days a week and not the 6 I've been doing since February, now that the super busy propagation and nursery work period is over. I don't mind hard work especially when I can see the results, bu tthere are limits to my energy levels too, so I have to be sensible too. 









Our day off on Tuesday saw us head to Penrith in near 30C to visit Lowther Castle and see Dan Pearson's gardens in the ruins. It was a lovely but hot day, but more of that in a seperate blog.






 If you want to find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                                      The quirky Bird Gardener 




 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                         Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


You can now sign up for our monthly newsletter on the facebook page or by emailing us to be added to our mailing list



All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you

Comments