Thursday, 25 February 2016

Post winter Garden tidy up and our feathered friends

Our road

Bit of a long one, but I had lots of lovely photo I wanted to share with you. The snow was forecast, but then heavy snow was forecast several times over winter and never happened but we did wake up to four inches of the stuff on Wednesday morning, pretty but inconvenient. That day's word was urgh, due to the snow and me feeling quite under the weather with a cold, lurgy type thing, sore head and sore neck. I figured I was as well at home in the warm doing admin than in the office at work after struggling through the snow. I spent quite a lot of time sitting in the house looking out the window thinking of all the things that need done outside at home and in the nursery as the bad weather rolls on. I did get a lot done in the house, paperwork, planning that sort if thing while trying to resist eating chocolate of which there is no shortage in the house.

Looking the other way, almost natural black and white

The birds were very active around the bird table so I set the camera up on the tripod with the big lens to see who I could capture. I was pleased to see the Greater Spotted Woodpecker is back this year, along with blue tits, great tits, chaffinches (over 25 at a time on the ground) robins and gold finches, it was busy. Not forgetting the squirrel of course who always puts in an appearance! I have put a few of my photos on below. I was quite pleased at catching the snow as it fell in the shots too.

There was only one thing for it when the cold remedies weren't making me feel better in the evening, opening the box of twelve creme eggs my sister gave me on Tuesday, a whole twelve! I was good and didn't eat them all at once. Mid evening and the power went off which meant we had young folk wandering around aimlessly missing the internet! We handed them candles and torches and told them to go read some books. It worked for hundreds of years, so they will survive I am sure. Fortunately it came back on in the early morning.

Milly watching for the school bus

A lovely sunrise from the back door

Back to work on Thursday feeling better and I got a lot done in the nursery and at home in the evening. I freshened up the cafe flowers and watered the containers and tidied up the herb planters in the cafe. I treated myself to a mocha and got on with admin while enjoying the heat from the new to me super heater in my office, toasty. I filled up the shelves in the covered area with our vintage things to sell, tidied an wept out the office then got on with some potting. 

Vintage and gift items for sale
in the nursery

Another batch of Deschampsia 'Garnet Schist' got potted we have a few! I may do a give away offer with them later in the year. I also did the Alchemilla 'Robusta' which have been sitting under the bench, like Alchemilla needs a variety called 'Robusta', it's very robust in its species form! It is great to get on with potting again, I am looking forward to finishing "A" and that will be all the plants repooted that we got with the nursery (apart form grasses). I may be some time with those and they are better done in summer. I brought more plants in to defrost as the weather forecast is for rain, sleet and snow for the next few days

Vintage planters for sale in the nursery

It is lovely to have people coming up to the nursery again and chatting with enthusiastic gardeners and selling plants. Pansies, flowering bulbs and conifers are popular for winter and early spring interest this week. Crocus 'Herald' has been selling well an has also stood up to the snow well.

Crocus 'Herald' standing up well in the snow

It was only me and two boys for dinner as David was out doing a bat talk in Glasgow for the evening. It was a busy evening of tea, food shopping delivered, shower, bedding changed and the new really think mattress topper put on and house plants watered, whew! Thankfully there was still time for chocolate and feet up in front of the TV for a while with a good book. I've put together a new page on the nursery website for photos and items we have had in the media, always a good selling point for customers, you can see it here.

The barrow we bought in Yorkshire at the beginning of the month with pansies and snow drops for sale

The snow was still lying on Friday morning but the temperatures climbed to a balmy 4C and it melted as the day went on. I brought snowdrops over from the tunnel to go in the sales area, watered the tunnel and filled up the water storage tanks now the pipes are defrosted. I am getting through "A's"now the plants are defrosted and, it is a good job as they are badly in need of potting, having not been potted for so long before we bought the nursery. I could almost hear them sigh as they were put into lovely fresh compost and fertiliser. David came over in the afternoon and we discussed labelling plants and generally in the nursery for this year and reviewed the spending plan. I can buy things!

The poster I've created for advertising Mothers day

Saturday was very windy and wet again, it's either snow and frozen or wet and windy, I don't like either. I spent most of the day potting, which I really enjoy when I am rescuing plants and then see them all rowed in the beds in new compost with no weeds, knowing they will be great plants come spring and summer, it is so satisfying. When I was in the office warming up every so often I started to sort out the seeds for sowing. There is over 400 packets of seeds, so someone is going to busy, ie. me. 

Just a few seeds to sow!

Sunday was cold and wet so I spent the day potting more A's, the end is in sight now. There were a few people wandering up despite the weather which is great, not the weather, the fact people are coming up to the nursery. It was good to get home to warm and dry and have a relaxing evening. 

Daffodils are out before the snow drops at home

Monday was a lovely sunny dry day with a touch of frost in the morning, fortunately it was also my day off so I could get on with my job list at home as planned. What I didn't plan was getting much more done than I anticipated! I had a fantastic day in the garden and it was quite warm in the middle of the day. I got so much done in the seven hours I was out and could hardly move at night but really pleased with progress.I got all the front borders cut back, weeded, fed and forked over. A the pots and troughs on the patio had the same treatment and I can now see all the snowdrops and bulbs coming up. The patio got swept, the veg bed on the patio dug over and the grass banking at the end of the patio raked up of all it's leaves Whew! It was good to be out in the sun and I definitely deserved an extra creme egg ad the big roast pork dinner we had that evening. The chickens enjoyed the company and the piles of grass ad weeds that got thrown in their run.

Chickens for company

I must have been on a roll on Monday as I also cooked a roast pork dinner with all the trimmings, including roast potatoes, yum! I then cleaned the house, admittedly I did spend the rest of the night lying on the sofa with a glass of wine, a box of chocolates and the dog!

Arum italicum subsp. 'Marmoratum' in the garden

Front garden tidied
Snowdrops doing their thing

One of my own Hellebore seedlings

Got any snacks?

Tuesday, another day off and another dry, sunny day, although it was much more frosty. We went to Biggar for a gas tank for the greenhouse and other odds and ends while everything defrosted. Once home I got on with cutting back, weeding, feeding and top dressing the plant collection troughs on the top level. Very few losses over winter which is great. I also crated up some plants to take to the nursery to propagate and a bit of each ne will come home to the plant collection. This will add some choice and unusual additions to the nursery stock list for sale. I also had a bonfire going all day to get rid of all the fallen sticks and branches from the front garden and the huge pile of cardboard in the lean to. So I got much more done over the two days than I had hoped, great to be caught up in the garden at home, until the next time!

Kalanchoes flowering in the greenhouse

So I left David to make up labels for the nursery while I was out in the garden
and this is what as sitting on my desk when I came in for a coffee! Funny guy


Tuesday evening and a fabulous sunset to end the week. I took this from the field behnd the house. Can you see
the dragons in the sky?

Another busy busy week, hope yours is going well too

Like us on Facebook:

You can now sign up for our monthly newsletter on the facebook page or by emailing us to be added to our mailing list

All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden


  1. I was exhausted reading that Rona! Glad to read your lurgy lifted - it's been hanging around here too. I can't get over the snow you had - absolutely nil here. It's amazing what those hills keep at bay.

  2. Hi Angie, spoke to soon, the lurgy is back, nothing serious just feel under the weather. Yes the difference in snow between here and in town with you is always interesting. Even between home and the nursery there can be a marked difference.