Saturday was dry and got a bit warm, especially when we were digging. We decided to dig over the new veg bed in the back garden and get this big job out the way. While David was topping up the bird table and letting out the chickens I opened the greenhouses. The last couple of nights have been warmer so the heater has not been on, which is good for keeping costs down and means the plants can start to naturally harden off. Being able to open the doors every day improves airflow and reduces chances of mildew and botritis.
|Morning dew on Erythronium 'Pagoda' leaves|
|Dew on Meconopsis leaves|
Anyway, back to the digging, youngest son has expressed an interest in growing veg this year, I will probably end up doing most of it but it's good to encourage them. We used to grow lots of fruit and veg in the last garden before I had to go back to work full time about 7 years ago. A couple of weekends ago we dug over the square bed on the patio for the mixed veg, you can read about it here. This weekend we created the tattie (potato) bed along the top of the back garden. There will be plenty light here and it tidies up another messy area of the garden. The soil in this garden is quite sandy and light, such a difference from the heavy unforgiving clay at Easter Mosshat.
|The finished potato bed|
|Admiring our hard work|
We lifted off the "turf" and I use that term lightly, dug out dandelions, nettles and dockens, but they will be back, tenacious perennial weeds that they are. Most of these roots went on the bonfire to be burnt. Because it's been dry for a few days the soil was nice and light making our job much easier. I'll leave the bed to settle for a few days and then we'll plant the early tatties.
|Bracken had fun running around the garden while we were working|
After a late lunch we finished off the side bed I started a couple of weeks ago, removing the rest of the nettles and old landscape fabric. I forked over the bed and raked it level. I have lots of annual seeds so am thinking of scattering them over this border in amongst the evergreen shrubs for a big splash of colour through summer.
|The side bed weeded, forked over and raked level|
We were pretty tired after all this tidying and digging, but pleased with what we had achieved. I also moved some cuttings from last year outside to harden off. This makes room in the cold greenhouse to move seedlings out from the heated greenhouse to harden off and of course room to sow more seeds in the big greenhouse.